Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Preparing for Sailing Season '04

- Page 14 -

Click thumbnails for a larger picture


ladder04.jpg (285094 bytes)

The next consideration (as posed to me by Dick King) was, if the primary purpose of my swim ladder is to pull myself out of an unexpected swim while singlehanding (and there's no other good reason to go into chilly New England waters), how will I reach the ladder if it's in the normal "up" position when I least expect to need it. I thought of a lot of solutions, but the easiest presented itself once I had the ladder mounted.

ladder05.jpg (242753 bytes)

I simply ran a bungie cord with stainless clips from the traveler through the next to top step (when the ladder is raised, next to bottom when it's lowered) and back down to the rung on which the ladder pivots.

ladder06.jpg (266711 bytes)

I can reach it from the water if necessary and release the cord, and there's plenty of tension to hold the ladder up and in place.

The ladder raised, after installing the stern pulpit and lifelines.  The ladder touches the pulpit stanchion; had I planned for the stern pulpit earlier, I'd have installed it first then added the ladder -- but it's no big thing, just not quite perfection.  (Sept. 4, 2005)

fishfind02.jpg (265997 bytes)

The puck transducer for the new Humminbird Piranha Max15 fishfinder is mounted in the compartment just aft of the v-berth, epoxied to the hull at its centerline just forward of the compartment's bulkhead. The cable leads back along the port side beneath the settee seats and dinette table to the power supply. The coiled cable is for temperature, which I'm not using.  (May 24, 2004)

cockpit01.jpg (201883 bytes)

The cockpit mount for the Humminbird Piranha Max15 fishfinder and the new cam cleats for the new mainsail reefing line (outboard) and jib halyard (inboard).  (May 29, 2004)

SEE:  Replacing the Depth Finder Project

cockpit02.jpg (227054 bytes) The new main halyard (outboard) and main downhaul (inboard) lines and cam cleats are on the on the starboard side bulkhead.
tp06.jpg (245018 bytes)

Over Memorial Day Weekend I installed the Raymarine ST1000-Plus tiller pilot. As usual, nothing cane easy.  (May 30, 2004)

Go to the Tiller Pilot Project

bswitch01.jpg (286593 bytes)

I decided, before I launch for the season, that I want a second (back-up) battery for my planned month cruising up the coast of Maine....  (Jun. 4, 2004)

Go to Installing a Second Battery and 4-Way Switch

While installing the new starboard-side battery and box, I eliminated the hose coming from the sink drain and its shut-off valve (center). I'd removed the sliding galley last year and the extraneous hose was only in the way (and a needless potential leak). I recalled that last year when I replaced the gate valve on the "volcano," the plastic t-fitting (bottom right) developed a hairline crack from over-tightening on the volcano.  I'd epoxied then banded it with a hose clamp, but decided now was the time to replace it (bottom left) along with the hoses and clamps as well.  (Jun. 8, 2004)

At the suggestion of Bob "Hobie" Davidson on the SailNet C22 discussion group some time back, I replaced the cockpit drain hoses with clear reinforced hose; better to see if they get clogged and what's clogging them. The area around the battery box is now less cluttered without the unnecessary sink drain and shut-off valve. The brass t-fitting didn't crack when I tightened it this time!

It's never-ending ... but spring is in the air at last, the projects have begun!


Return to Top of Page