Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Sailing Season ‘08 is here!

- Page 49 -

Click thumbnails for a larger picture


I hung the new IdaSailor rudder and attached its new tiller (with the six additional coats of Cetol I'd applied over the winter) to make sure it'll fit when the time comes to launch.  I do hate surprises then!  The pin on top for the Raymarine tiller pilot was installed by Joel at IdaSailor before the rudder was shipped to me.  (May 24, 2008)

Yesterday I began cleaning the cabin interior.  I decided to try using the Easy Dab Bacteriostatic Crème Cleanser that Bob Keim sent along with the Poli Glow kit.  I hate it almost as much when a product exceeds my expectations, as Easy Dab did, as when it fails.  My anticipated hour of a quick cabin cleaning turned into about three hours using Easy Dab.  It works so well that once I started, there was no stopping until the cabin was completely done or it would have been obvious.  It contains crystaline quartz silica and goes on like polish, removing stains I thought were permanent, especially rust stains.  What I've completed is the best the cabin has ever looked since I got the boat!  (May 25, 2008)

I cleaned from the v-berth around the starboard side, across the companionway and beneath the aft dinette cushion and seat before calling it a day.  Having this small area and the companionway sole to complete still shows the difference.  This worked out well as I hadn't expected to want before-and-after comparison photos of a simple cabin cleaning, but took some shots this morning before finishing up the final area.  (May 26, 2008)

[Closeup Detail]

A last minute before-and-after comparison:  Photo above, before; and on left, after.  The cleaning is completed.  The results are far superior than I'd planned before starting.  Of course, it also took much longer than I'd intended to spend just cleaning the cabin interior.  Once I got started though, and discovered what Easy Dab and a little rubbing can do, then I had to spend whatever time it took to do it wherever it was needed.  Each area or "permanent" stain became a small personal challenge.  The unanticipated time and effort was worth it:   The cabin interior looks the best it ever has since I've owned this boat, and should stay this way for a while.

All that remained was to drop in the new carpet.  The cosmetics are done completely from stem to stern, now inside as well.  Onward next to lugging out and installing the two batteries, hooking them up to the busses and 4-way switch, hauling out the porta-potti and locking it in place in the v-berth area.  Then I can begin carrying out and loading the boat's other equipment and amenities in preparation for launching later this week!  (May 26, 2008)

With the boat thoroughly clean and still empty of gear, this was a good time to mount the new barometer that Barbara gave me for Christmas.  I wanted it some place visible but out of the way so it wouldn't get bumped and banged.  The oil-lamp in its gimbled mount on the mast compression post (left of center in the photo) is always subject to that.  I shattered the crystal chimney by bumping it a day or two after first installing it before my first coast of Maine cruise.  The lamp is always the last thing I bring back into the cabin, when all else is done, and the first that comes out in the fall.  Both the oil lamp and brass/cherrywood wall barometer are made by Weems & Plath.  (May 27, 2008)

The starboard bulkhead fit the requirement. The barometer was designed to hang on a wall by a hook on its backside.  Over the winter I drilled and countersunk three small holes for screws. This morning I took the instrument off the kitchen wall and removed the hook.  In the cabin I marked and drilled three shallow holes on the bulkhead to accept the #4x1" brass flat head Phillips screws.  The barometer looks good there:  visible and out of the way.

[Closeup Detail]

Then the loading continued.  Ahead of equipment and amenities, the first thing that goes in are the plastic seedling flats I discovered make great waterproof liners for the bottoms of the cabin storage lockers -- they're somewhat flexible, inexpensive, and I happened to have some on hand.  They keep things from sitting in any water that may seep in and accumulate over the season, wetting or rusting things.  (See the rust-stain outline of a gallon can of denatured stove alcohol before I came up with this simple solution.  The intrusion of rust actually corrupted the alcohol inside the can, which ultimately plugged a metering valve in the pressurized stove.)  Anything water-damageable goes into a tray.  I use one in the port side forward locker, two in the aft locker beneath the dinette seats.  (May 27, 2008)

Loading the boat with equipment and amenities for the season is almost completed.  The new life vest and safety harness (with its new strobe light and PLB) go in last, along with two SOSpenders inflatable vests and other safety equipment used regularly or needed in an emergency, so I can find and put my hands on it quickly.  (May 29, 2008)

Toby Reiley and his partner Joey had "Firewood," the juniors racing committee boat, trucked out of my yard today from alongside the house, and launched at the Pleon YC ramp on Marblehead Harbor.  After giving them a hand, I went back to loading and preparing Chip Ahoy for launch, now set for Monday-Tuesday.  It's supposed to begin raining tonight with thunderstorm through tomorrow and continue raining through Sunday, and trying to schedule my helpers is like herding cats -- as usual.  (May 30, 2008)

More Firewood photos
Photo 1  
=   Photo 2

While at West Marine yesterday to pick up some Weems & Plath lamp oil, on impulse I bought a stainless steel rail-mounted flag staff.  I'll use it this year instead of running the flag up the spreader halyard on the rare occasions when I don't have the radar reflector hoisted.  In this photo, the backup VHF antenna is seen on the opposite corner of the stern pulpit.  Its coax cable runs through the aft cowl vent into the cabin where it is ready to connect if necessary.  (May 30, 2008)

The mounting bracket is made for a 1" rail but I couldn't get the jaws to clamp tightly around Chip Ahoy's 1" stern rail; with the Allen head screw tightened a slight gap remains between the jaws, as if the rail is a larger diameter.  The flathead screw that's supposed to go through from the outside bracket jaw into a hole in the base of the staff left it loose in the bracket.  I ended up just tightening the screw against the staff, not using the hole.  It works, holds the staff tightly.  I added a touch of Blue Locktite (with its stainless steel primer) to the screw's threads, tightened the screw and called it done.

Closeup Detail (front)   =   Closeup Detail (back)   =   Even Closer Detail

Chip Ahoy is loaded and ready to launch, and cruise.  This morning Wally Riddle and I will trailer it down to Riverhead Beach on Marblehead Harbor and raise the mast.  I'll spend the rest of the day rigging, tuning, adding the new boomkicker, connecting cables and wiring, and getting the boat otherwise ready to launch on tomorrow (Tuesday) morning's high tide.  (Jun. 2, 2008)

-- More cabin interior photos --

It's never-ending ... but Sailing Season '08 has arrived!


Return to Top of Page