Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

Nahant-to-Marblehead for hauling out
Bringing Wally Riddle’s C-22 “Carpe Diem” around
November 10, 2004

Click thumbnails for a larger picture


cd01.jpg (255181 bytes)

Since the keel cable broke aboard Wally Riddle's C-22, "Carpe Diem," in September, we've been trying to figure a way to connect the new one to the keel so he can crank it up and get his boat onto his trailer. Finally, we decided we'd just have to bring Carpe Diem around Nahant, up to and around Marblehead, and have the boatyard lift her out. We planned to do it last Monday, but it was just too windy -- and only got windier through the week.  This was the day, at last.  (Nov. 10, 2004)

cd02.jpg (235240 bytes)

At Wally's home in Nahant overlooking Broad Sound and Massachusetts Bay (that's Egg Rock in the background), we bundled up and prepared for the 2˝ to 3 hour cruise ahead. The air was calm, the temperature in the low 20s and was expected to reach 50 by the time we arrive in Marblehead. At the town boat club Wally rowed out and brought Carpe Diem in to the dock where we tossed on our bags and equipment and I got aboard.

cd03.jpg (316326 bytes)

There was little to no wind so we decided to just motor over and get the job done. (Nahant is in the background right, with the Boston skyline on the far horizon.)

cd04.jpg (272717 bytes)

As the trip went along it got a little warmer.

cd05.jpg (280725 bytes)

About halfway to Marblehead it had warmed up enough to remove my foul-weather jacket and hat and enjoy the sunshine.

cd06.jpg (285998 bytes)

As we approached Marblehead and rounded Marblehead Rock heading into the channel to Marblehead Harbor, it began to cool sharply, with the slight wind coming at us instead of from behind. The thermos of hot coffee I brought along was much appreciated.

cd07.jpg (295636 bytes)

Coming into Marblehead Harbor at about 1:30 pm the temperature was dropping abruptly: it was time to bundle up, hat, gloves and all.

cd08.jpg (293500 bytes)

Wally brought the boat through the harbor and to the dock beneath the boatyard's Cliff Street crane, I jumped off and tied us up, and the yard eventually hauled out Carpe Diem. By then we'd returned with Wally's trailer (after a bowl of hot soup at my place), he fastened his keel cable to the keel and we cranked it up, the boat was lowered onto the trailer, and we were soon on our way back to Nahant to store his boat for the winter.  (Nov. 10, 2004)


Return to Top of Page