Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Preparing for Sailing Season '04

- Page 11 -

Click thumbnails for a larger picture


stem01.jpg (271274 bytes)

I've begun the project of installing an anchor roller. This requires removal of the stem fitting. Last year I added the stem reinforcement kit which, along with the stem, has to be removed as the roller mounts beneath the stem fitting.  Unfortunately, the holes in the stem fitting and the new anchor roller do not line up as advertised. The fiberglass around the stem needs some work too!  (Apr. 24, 2004)

stem_reinf01.jpg (69041 bytes)

At the bow below deck, last year I added the stem reinforcement kit, which runs from the bow eyebolt up to the stem fitting. I had to unfasten it to remove the stem

stem_reinf02.jpg (66678 bytes)

The stem reinforcement kit runs up and attaches to the stem fitting beneath a plywood backing plate.

stem02.jpg (279905 bytes)

The bow with the stem fitting removed.  (Apr. 25. 2004)

stem03.jpg (242885 bytes)

Close-up of the bow

stem04.jpg (207854 bytes)

When I relocated the running lights last year onto the bow pulpit, I left the old deck-mounted unit in place. With the anchor roller mounted, it'll be in the way of the anchor cleats, so I removed it this morning and epoxied the holes that remained. I'll sand down the epoxy tomorrow and determine whether I need to fill more.

roller01.jpg (77402 bytes) The anchor roller installed.  (Apr. 28, 2004)
roller02.jpg (70647 bytes) I sanded down the very bow before mounting the roller, again filled in more of the imperfections with an epoxy/collodial silica/gelcoat tint mixture, and sanded again. Better than it was and good enough for this year.
roller03.jpg (343787 bytes) The anchor roller from on deck.

Click here for more on installing the anchor roller

It's never-ending ... but spring is in the air at last, the projects have begun!


Return to Top of Page